Wednesday, July 2, 2008

First Impressions of SL

A little confusing!

I had chosen my birthplace (rez-place?) to be Avatar Island, as I was attracted by the free outfits that were offered. Upon arrival, I "looked" around and noticed that there were others there, but I only saw parts of them, like hair blowing, with a skirt below it, shoes peeking out. I figured they were still getting dressed or something. In fact, the first hour or so I couldn't see myself, and one of the first thing I wanted to was customize my look. I was frustrated when the controls were showing anything but eyes in the appearance control panels. In fact, all I could get to appear were my eyes!

I had a tough time searching Help, but eventually found answers in the SLWiki. I loaded a driver for my graphics card, and when that wasn't enough, I had to adjust my rendering to the lowest setting, and then ta-da! I appeared and could see others entirely.

I'm not sure how prevalent that issue is, but I think most non-gamer people would just walk away from SL like I almost did. Now that little glitch is fixed, I'm hoping to find new and exciting people and places!

No comments: